The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday 1 June 2009

A new friend!

People have been telling me that the best way to improve my Spanish is to talk to Spaniards who don't speak any English. Well, at our golf club we have a very nice lady called Elizabeth who wants to learn to speak some English so that she can speak to all the English people who go to play golf there, and to understand them a little easier as most of them don't speak any Spanish.

So, I suggested that we meet for a coffee and a chat and we could help each other. We haven't managed to meet for a quiet coffee but she did come out with us last week when we watched the Man Utd v Barcelona match in Pepa's. It wasn't the best place to try to teach her any English so it was really just an evening for me to practice my Spanish.

Elizabeth is actually Brazilian and moved to Spain 7 years ago with her Spanish husband. Although she works in the restaurant at the golf club, back in Brazil she was a Psychiatrist, but her qualifications aren't valid for her to practice here in Spain



Because Neil doesn't speak any Spanish and Elizabeth doesn't speak any English, I found myself translating for both of them, and while I managed well, it was really exhausting -

BUT.....

..... we all had a fabulous night, we found out a lot about each other and I got a real buzz that I had spent all evening with a new Spanish friend and been able to chat all evening without too much trouble. I think we only needed the dictionary twice and one of those was to check what 'hurón' meant in English - it means ferret - and believe me, that's a whole different story!

I spoke with Elizabeth up at the golf club today and she has asked if she can come with us to the Flamenco night on Friday - so, she must have enjoyed the evening as well.



The Flamenco Party is this Friday, which just happens to coincide with my birthday - so we are looking forward to a good night out. I have my Flamenco outfit, flowers for my hair and Lucy brought me a lovely mantón back from her trip to Benidorm. A mantón is the lovely shawl the Spanish ladies wear, all embroidered with long tassles - mine's black with bright flowers - isn't it gorgeous?


No comments: