The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday 21 June 2009

A Healthy Lunch by the River and a walk in the countryside........

We had arranged to meet my brother at The Swan in Staines for lunch so that he could take responsibility for me for the next 24 hours - http://www.fullersenglishinns.co.uk/swan-hotel/about.asp

I don't miss much now I'm in Spain but I have to admit to not having had a decent Cappuccino since I moved there - we don't have Starbucks and the likes near us - maybe in the bigger cities, but not in Terreros, and the coffees we do get are ALWAYS in small cups not mugs!
So I thought, 'Great, I'll have a coffee!'

I was presented with a large mug of very frothy Cappuccino accompanied by a little dish of Maltesers - heaven.

My brother arrived shortly after and we went through to a lovely table by the window overlooking the river. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite warm enough to sit outside (and it did look like it may rain, although it didn't)

One of the specials was Avocado and Shrimp salad - far too much green for my usual plate but it had 2 of my favourite foods and so I decided that would do for me, and it was delicious, it came drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar AND I did eat most of my lettuce, for a change.

So lunch over, I said my goodbyes and thank you's to Liz and headed off with Andrew. He had plans to drive me around the contryside to remind me how beautiful England is and then on to Polesden Lacey, a National Trust Country House and Gardens - http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-polesdenlacey/

We had a lovely stroll around the gardens in some very pleasant afternoon sun before wandering around the house. The house is steeped in history and connections to royalty and full of amazing pottery, books and pictures. My main question was 'why there were statues of Griffins in the gardens etc?' - but no one could give me an answer and a quick Google hasn't found anything either - photos of them yes - and explanation why? No.

Still, the place was beautiful and very worth a visit.

3 comments:

Spanish Owner said...

We're lifetime members of The National Trust, have been for around 15 yrs now. We've seen the most stunning places. We've even been to homes where we've had to stay places nearby to enable us to see them as too far away from here.

Perhaps we ought to book up for a couple of nights away 2/3 times before heading back to Spain Sept 1st. We have all the time in the world with both being reired.

Brindy said...

Certainly we don't have anything like this close by to us, not sure of they do in the larger cities.

Spanish Owner said...

reired ???

I MEANT RETIRED !!!!!!