The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday 27 October 2009

The man from Iberbanda, he says No!

Oh my goodness!

How will I survive?

Cancel the removal van!

The man from Iberbanda didn't even get his signal monitor out of his van, he drove down to the house, took one look at the next hill and said an emphatic No Way!

Well, not quite - he said, 'Lo siento, no es possible!'

Oh sorry, Iberbanda are the company who can provide phone and internet links to remote homes. In Velez they cover 80% of the area with their network of masts, and we live in the 20% they don't cover. There is a big hill directly between our house and the transmission mast so a link is impossible.

So, we now need to go down the route of having a satellite link for our phone and internet. Means for a while I'll need to to do all my work offline, then get into the car with my laptop and drive 500m to the end of the dirt track that is our drive, where I have a Vodaphone signal to send everything. Or, I can just go and find myself a café, and sit and drink coffee while typing away. For the time being, I'm hanging onto my Vodaphone dongle - they will have to fight me to take it back before we're connected at the house.

Now time to Google satellite phones!

Hey Ho, nothing is ever simple, is it?

2 comments:

Spanish Owner said...

Only one word for it, Jacqui, ****

Brindy said...

But not wholly unexpected! We knew where the mast was and knew there was a great big hill in the way. We thought they maybe able to run the cable up to the top of our big hill at the back, but apparently it's too far!