The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday 11 October 2009

As we are moving out, someone else is moving in.....


I've got used to the insects out here, I can deal with most things - but spiders still cause my heart to race. This morning as I opened the door for the dogs, I noticed a huge web had been spun through the night and in the centre was the creator. In the early morning light the web looked perfect and as much as I didn't want to get too near, I felt compelled to do just that so I could get a good picture. The fascination of nature overriding the fear within. I don't know why I am so afraid of spiders, I've never been hurt by one, but the irrational fear is always difficult to understand - by its very nature.
So, I got my big camera with the good zoom lens so I could take photos without getting too close and clicked away.
Of course, I have no idea what species of spider this is and so I Googled to see if there are many poisonous spiders in Spain. Imagine my horror to find that there are over 1700 species of spider in Spain. Only 3 are nasties,including the Black Widow (gulp) which is commonest in Andalucia (yep, that's us) and they are a problem in the greenhouse estates of Almería (double gulp - that's us too)
So, now the ultimate question - do I Google 'Black Widow Spider' to see whether that's what we have in the garden - and risk never being able to walk out there again - or do I live in blissful ignorance and risk being bitten?
Oh boy, what a dilema!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Jacqui,

I have black widows at my house in Florida...the first time I saw them I was so scared, but when I did research I found that they weren't AS poisonous as I thought so now I take precautions but try not to get too freaked out.

I've had an exterminator here and that took care of them for awhile. But a few weeks ago another one had taken up residence in the mailbox. Poor mailman puts his hand in there everyday! So I sprayed it with some kitchen cleaner and that took care of it.

Also, they have very distinct egg casings. They look almost like spiky golf balls and are bigger than most spider egg casings I've seen. Knowing the egg shape has helped a lot in keeping their numbers down! They are such a pain especially with pets around!

Brindy said...

Thanks for the info Sarah. We haven't seen any big spiders up at the new house, only ones with really, really long legs and tiny bodies - but at this place there seems to have been a whole coony move in. I just tried kitchen cleaner on one and they really don't like it, do they?