The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday 29 July 2009

We've lost ITV, no Corrie, Emmerdale or the Bill!

Watching UK TV in Spain is not essential, but it is nice to be able to. Research before we moved here showed that it would be possible by using our Sky card, providing we kept a UK address as our contact address as 'officially' we are not supposed to have UK TV in Spain.

So, we have been able to keep up to date with our usual programs. We live right on the edge of a broadcasting arial so reception can be 'iffy' and we don't get all the Sky channels but we do get Premiere movies, and a few other film channels, Sky Sports and the regular BBC & ITV channels along with Dave, Watch, GOLD etc. If there is a storm we generally lose all signal and the weather has a massive impact on which channels we can see and which we can't.

There are several BBC 1 areas and if reception isn't good on 101 we can watch it on 980, there are also several BBC 2's to choose from, again in the 980/990 range. But there are only 2 ITV1 channels, 103 & 993. We always found 103 was the best reception and it always amused us that our card have us ITV Yorkshire so we were still getting our local news and weather.

With the imminent issuing of replacement Sky cards it was crucial that I had an address that I could be confident my card would be delivered to.

So I changed our contact address to my brother's house in Surrey. Within a couple of hours we were linked to ITV 1 Mer SE (Meridian SE) and WE CANNOT PICK UP THAT SIGNAL! Neither can we get 993.

Now we have no ITV 1, most of the time we have no ITV 2 or 3 or 4 either and so, I can no longer watch Emmerdale, Corrie, The Bill and the drama we had started watching, Monday, Monday - well, we will never know how it concludes.

It is possible that when we move to our own place we can get a larger dish (2.0m) made of aluminium as opposed to the one we have here which is smaller and made of steel and get better reception.

But I have a feeling that, by then, I will have learned to live without these programs - and found other ways to fill my evenings. A couple of weeks 'Cold Turkey' and I will be free of the addiction that has been with me for so many years.

So, maybe not such a bad thing after all!

3 comments:

Spanish Owner said...

That's IT then, Jacqui. We won't be visiting again ! We've THE LOT with our new super duper Portugese 1.9m dish. WE don't have 'illegal' SKY like some I know !! Haven't time there to watch much TV but love certain progs.

Sarah said...

Haha you will become used to it! I had my last cable subscription 4 years ago and though I have a TV still, it's only for DVDs. I will admit I did download some TV episodes but for some reason over the last 6 or 8 months I have let go of those too...it takes a long time but it's worth it!

But now I seem to have replaced my TV addiction with internet addiction...

Anonymous said...

Try uktvinspain.net, all the Uk channels via the internet. Good service. Have used this for 1 year with no problems,also you can use the catchup service so you dont miss anything.