The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday 17 July 2009

Tenpin Bowling in high heels - whatever next?

A group of us decided to have a trip into Aguilas today for a game of Ten-pin Bowling. We have a lovely Bowling Alley in the Commercial Centre which has 12 lanes and is generally quiet. There were 8 of us playing on one lane and the most lanes in use while we were there was 4. There are also Pool tables, air hockey and other games as well as a bar for drinks.

The whole place is much more relaxed than the Bowling Alleys in the UK, or at least when I last played there a couple of years ago.

The first thing here is, you play in your own shoes, no hiring of proper 'Bowling' shoes. Now those of us who are sensible wear trainers or something similar but I've seen people bowling tonight in flip-flops, bare feet and funniest of all, 3 inch high heels!! Now that was an accident waiting to happen - and sure enough within a couple of throws she was on her bum and she played the rest of the game in bare feet.

What I was impressed by (and forgive me if this happens in the UK bowling alleys, I've never seen it before)were the lane bumpers. The family at the side of us had a couple of children who were only about 4 or 5 and so when they has entered their names, they had obviously tagged it to a command in the computer to say they needed to have the buffers up to stop their bowling ball going into the gutter. Every time their name came up on screen, the buffers came up automatically and when they had finished and it listed the name of an adult to play, the buffers went down automatically - I suppose it's not difficult to do with modern technology but I was fascinated by it.

Also here, the pins are held up by wires, so that when they are knocked over, they are not swept away to the back as in UK alleys, but they are pulled back up like string puppets, they remind me of Pinnochio coming to life.

We had a great couple of hours, €6.50 for 2 games each plus the cost of a couple of drinks - it was airconditioned as well, so on a really hot day like today - it was a welcome break from the heat.

But really, high-heels and flip-flops - it's a bit much.

3 comments:

Ian said...

You did better than me because i couldn't find the bowling alley even when i was inside the complex. I live in birmingham, Uk but my spanish apartment is more or less opposite your in the yellow and blue domed Milenio II buildings. In fact mine overlooks the waste ground where they haven't built yet. I haven't had much opportunity to get over there this year with the recession taking it's toll on me etc but i have been coming regular since 2004. If I see you and the dogs on the paseo maritimo I will stop and say hi. Hopefully if i can sell my house soon i will be there permanently too. I have a home too in Turre not far from the cemetry. Not far to go then for the final trip!
Ian

Brindy said...

Please stop us and say Hi if you see us, it's always nice to meet people who read my blog.

The bowling alley is upstairs, walk through the food court and there is a bar on the left, ahead is an escalator with toilets behind and to the right is the bowling alley - well tucked away, which is why I think it's so quiet everytime we've been.

We go to Turre about once a month to shop at Home Sweet Home and stop to have tapas in a bar a bit further up the main road and off to the right (don't know what it's called but we really enjoy it there).

Ian said...

I miss being there... reading your blog makes me feel 'homesick' even though I am home in Birmingham. Never mind, house sales picking up... maybe mine will sell soon... live in hope.

Ian