The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday 18 June 2008

Wow, it's getting hot out here.

If I thought that retiring to Spain would lead to long lie-in's each morning, I was wrong. I am back to getting up at 7am to walk the dogs, because any later and it's getting too hot for them to have a decent walk.

At 9am this morning, it was already 28 degress - in the shade. At noon today in the sun it was 38 degrees C - now they say only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the mid-day sun - well not my dogs and certainly not this english(wo)man, at noon we are well and truly resting under the sun brolly and dipping in the pool!

Factor 50 is preventing my english rose skin (i.e. incredibly white) from turning lobster red after 15 minutes and if I accidentally get chatting to a neighbour in the direct sun, then I soon look the same colour as the terracotta tiles in the bathroom, as my lovely husband so tactfully informed me this morning.

There is a great deal of planning to every day at the moment, siesta (2-4pm) are rigidly adhered to and I fully understand why the Spanish eat late at night - any earlier and it's too hot to eat hot food comfortably.

We are lucky to be on the coast and have the benefit of the ocassional sea breeze coming inland, as you go inland it gets even hotter. We have another 2 months of increasing temperatures before it begins to cool down again. We have bought a thermometer just so we can see how hot it really is. As I type this at midnight it tells me it is 26 degrees.

Be warned, if you are on your way over here soon, the sun is viscious - bring lots of high factor suncream and a big hat. Other than that, take it easy and enjoy a daily dip.

No comments: