The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday 24 June 2008

Back to the UK for a few days

I found out 4 weeks before moving out to Spain that my Dad would probably be having a major operation within weeks of me being in Spain, We obviously discussed delaying our plans but Dad was quite definite that he wanted me to come to Spain as planned and we would deal with the operation as and when it happened. I was fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time with Dad before coming out here, but it was still incredibly difficult to actually say our last goodbyes before leaving Sheffield, knowing this operation was looming.

Well, he had the operation a week ago and it has been incredibly difficult to be so far away, not to be able to visit him in hospital and to rely on others to let us know how he is and how he is doing. I had always planned to go back for a few days when he came out of hospital but as it happens, I decided to go back anyway as I just needed to be able to see him and see that he was ok and recovering well, so I am on a plane back to Sheffield tonight and I will see him tomorrow. All the reports are that the operation went extremely well and Dad's progress is good, and as they would expect.

One of the benefits of moving to Spain is the speed at which you can get back to the UK for situations, just like this. The down side of course, is that I will be apart from Neil and the pups, an equally difficult situation for me.

Anyone contemplating moving away from family and friends needs to consider seriously how they would deal with this type of issue - and then when you think you have worked out how you would feel and cope, multiply it tenfold. I thought I was much better prepared to deal with this at distance than it turns out I am, and although I will miss being in Spain, I cannot wait to get home and see my Dad.

So, it may be several days before I can update this blog, but for anyone reading this regularly, please subscribe to the feed and you will be notified when I next post an entry.

Bye for now, and I'm off to pack some jumpers and long trousers as I understand it's considerably colder in the UK than it is here. Then I shall have one last dip in the pool before setting off for the aiport.

No comments: