The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday 23 September 2009

Checking out of Hotel Caracoles.

Monday night brought a storm of enormous proportions (more about that next post) but I thought I'd share my walk with the dogs the morning after.



Yesterday morning I noticed a parked car on the Campo and on the hill ahead of me I could see 3 people wandering around, 2 of them were halfway up the hill and the other closer to the bottom. I stood and watched them for a while as I couldn't, for the life of me, think why they would be there at 7.30 in the morning, it was barely daylight. As I watched them I could see that they were obviously searching for something amongst the shrubbery and they were slowly making their way higher and higher up the hill.

As I got closer I could see that they had small bags in their hands and that they were placing whatever they were finding in the bags.

As I rounded the corner I saw a woman just at the base of the hill, bag in hand, bent over one of the shrubs, hands rummaging amongst the branches.

Curiosity was killing me.

Hola, buena - she called across to me. Great I thought, she's happy to chat.

Hola, buenas días - I replied. Qué busca? was all I could think to ask - what are you looking for?

Caracoles - she replied! I was in luck. Because of my post of 2 days ago, I knew caracoles meant snails.

Ah,si - despues de la tormenta? After the storm?

Si, - she replied, - hay muchos caracoles.

So it seems that the storm had brought out enough snails to warrant a family outing at the crack of dawn to climb the enormous hill in the photo to collect snails.

Unfortunately at this point she returned to her labours and wandered away from me - I was dying to know what they would do with them all.

So, the question as to whether the snails climb down from the twigs or simply fall off has been answered, at least for now - neither - they are picked like brambles from a hedgerow!


2 comments:

Emil Kirstein said...

Interesting. Blessings.

Spanish Owner said...

I couldn't IMAGINE eating snails. Jean, my sister, & I collected loads for our woman cleaner when we lived in Cyprus & we were little. We put them in a bag & left them in our utility & hours later they'd escaped up the wall.