The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday 12 February 2010

As snug as a bug in a rug!

It gets quite cool at night and we tend to leave the heating set to 16c overnight which is warm enough when you're sleeping. Often I wake up in the middle of the night and tend to get up and make a mug of hot chocolate and sit in the study browsing around the internet and taking my turn at online Scrabble. We have an internet system which has a 'Fair Usage' policy and some sites won't load on the lower speed, that I have, during the day when there are a lot of users online. It's fine for e-mail, Skype and my blog but sites that have loads of photos, embedded videos and the rest, it struggles with. I could pay more and get quicker access but I choose not to as I don't need it for the majority of what I use the internet for. However, at 3am it whizzes along quite nicely.

I never know how long I'm going to be up so I normally don't bother lighting the heater but, although my dressing gown is quite warm, after a while I do start to feel the chill.

Then, last week whilst out shopping a I saw a TV fleece. Only €7.99 and basically it's a huge blanket,sewn up to have sleeves and a couple of big buttons to keep it fastened around you. It's long enough to wrap your feet up in and so I thought it might be OK for my mid-night wanders around the internet. Some have pockets in for remote controls, others have foot pockets and I've even seen some that have built in pillows. Prices vary enormously, but mine is a very simple, not pocket, no pillow just a blanket, in deep plum.

Tonight is the first time I've been up and felt cool enough to think about unwrapping it. You'll probably be surprised that it's a 'one-size fits all' garment, and I use the term 'garment' in it's extreme sense of the word.

It has 2 buttons on it that, in my opinion, do no good whatsoever, as they are in completely the wrong places, it's probably the most unflattering item I've ever worn and somebody, please shoot me if I ever contemplate answering the door whilst wearing in it.

BUT.....


It has great long, wide sleeves that come over the end of my hands so I can happily type away without my fingers getting cold. It's longer than I am so I can wrap my feet in it. It's actually very snug without being heavy and after about half an hour I had to unwrap myself as I was over-heating.

So I'm quite happy with my €7.99 TV fleece which has one final unexpected purpose. As I walk from the study to the kitchen to make my mug of ColaCao (hot chocolate).....


....... it sweeps the floor!
Photo: from http://www.pierrofashion.co.uk/SnuggleSleevesBlankets.html


Now, you didn't really think I would put a photo of me in my TV fleece on the internet, did you?
Interestingly, in looking for a photo to use, I have discovered I am, sorry - was, wearing it wrong. You wear it like a hospital gown with the opening at the back. This way the buttons, whilst a little tricky to fasten, actually do make more sense being where they are AND you don't get any gaps down the front.
I'm liking it even more!
Now I'm off to make a mug of ColaCoa and get a head start on tomorrow's housework by cleaning the floors.




5 comments:

Spanish Owner said...

Hey, I bought a Snuggie too though mine was 10€, very snug I was tapping away on my netbook early morning like you though as I haven't internet I write draft emails not play online Scrabble.

I 'borrowed' your photo, BTW!

Travel & Dive Girl said...

We call those Snuggies here and they have become quite popular. As long as your warm, don't worry about making a fashion statement.

johnandkaren said...

Heard from our neighbours in the hills and I believe it is snowing there. Just come from Morrisons and guess what they have your snuggles in stock in blue and red at £10 you got a bargain! Hope the weather warms up for you soon

Brindy said...

Spanish Owner - not my photo - but you're welcome to it, they're great for late night laptop tapping - cosy for Skyping too.

Dive Girl - living in the middle of nowhere, you soon learn that you cannot make a fashion statement no matter what the weather - we yearn for a night out with friends just for an excuse to get dress normal!

J&K - loads of snow but melting fast.

Spanish Owner said...

Try watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y&feature=player_embedded

which I put on my blog, very funny!