The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday 28 December 2009

Sunrise.

Sunrise this morning was spectacular - so I rushed into the house to get my camera to capure it before it had gone.


Now, I have a complicated camera, which has so many settings and different lenses but I can only use the point and press mode - automatic everything. It's a Canon EOS 400D for the techies (I'm not sure how that should be spelt) reading this.

On automatic, this was the result!






Pathetic! Automatic = rubbish!


I really must get around to learning how to use it properly.

So, I took the bull by the horns and twisted the dial to 'scenic'. This time when I pressed the shutter button it took for ever to click off - and this was the result - camera hand held so a little blurred but much better:



Then I remembered, when Neil bought the camera, he also bought me a mini-tripod. So, I ran inside for that and, after having to learn very quickly how to lock the camera in place to avoid it falling over and breaking, or worse dropping 20ft from the wall!
And this time - result!



The colours weren't as strong because day was definitely dawning, but you get the idea.

Now, what are the chances I'll start to read the instruction book before the next missed picture?

Remote, I think!

3 comments:

Spanish Owner said...

Brilliant last photo, Jacqui, well done. As you say you need to read up on it, I know we'd take better snaps if we didn't use the auto setting all the time although the one that was stolen was much better on auto.

Ida has a new super duper Nikon D5000 with various lenses so, I guess, much like yours & she too is just finding out how to take the best photos. If she only could fathom out how to send them in bigger than around 300x200 size that would help!

Chris is at PC World now as he tried to ake PC back to a previously created restore point & NOW it won't reboot!! Seems we have a bigger problem! Hope £30 sorts it!

Kim Ayres said...

The thing to do is point it at the brightest part of the sky, so the auto-exposure sets the levels there, then press the button half way down, until just before it clicks (might take a couple of attempts). This will hold the settings until you finally click (although if you take your finger off you will have to start again). Then line up the camera to get the compostition you want (position of the trees etc), then finish pressing down and take the photo. The foreground will be dark and probably silhoutted, but the sky should be perfect :)

Brindy said...

Thanks for the advice Kim, I'll try that next time we have a clear sky which, after a quick look at the forecast, should be tomorrow!