The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday 2 July 2008

Too hot for golf?

Well, the temperatures have really kicked in here. It's in the mid 30's during the day (and that's in the shade) and never seems to drop below 28 degrees, even at night and the heat really saps your energy. So, playing 4 hours of golf is hard work. We currently walk around the course and I use an electric trolley. It normally takes us about 4 1/2 hours, bearing in mind we have some long walks between holes and the course is very hilly. Last time I played I struggled through 14 holes and then just ran out of steam and ended up just walking the last few holes - basically because we were as far away from the club house as we could be when I lost any remaining shreds of energy. Neil wasn't quite as bad but he did feel more tired then previously.

So, as well as stocking up on energy drinks it was decided I should get a buggy today and see if this would enable me to finish a round of golf without nearly killing myself. I prefer to walk the course as most golfers do, but if it's a choice of buggy or no golf - then buggy it is. The other option was to only play 9 holes and then after showering, sitting with a coffee and a book in the air conditioned club house to wait for the others to complete the back 9 - and trust me, this options has it's attractions.

But, having used a buggy today, I finished the round feeling relatively fit and so, for the next few weeks I'll be riding round the course until the intense heat begins to cool down again, probably some time in September. Then we should have several months of golf in really good weather - right through winter when we won't have to worry about playing in -5 degrees with frost on the greens as we would have if we were still in the UK, oh, happy days.


No comments: