The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday 30 July 2008

Off for my 1st Spanish lesson.

Well, it's finally arrived, the day I actually start to make an effort to learn Spanish, the language of my chosen new home - I cannot explain how frustrating it is not to be able to speak the language. I can recognise words but it doesn't help in so many situations.

So, at 11.30 today I will arrive at the home of my Spanish tutor, a keen and willing student, prepared to take on homework and the whole challenge of mastering the language. It will not be enough for me to go into a bar and say 'dos cerveza, por favor' , I want to be able to understand what they say back to me, and not to have to ask for the bill amount to be written down so I know how much they want from me.

All that is fine when you are here for a week or two on holiday, but after several weeks I've lost count of how many times I've wished I could speak and understand more.How long this will take is anyone's guess, but rest assured, I will keep you up to date with progress - should be a challenge, at least.

No comments: