The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday 9 July 2008

Made it Ma, Top of the World! (Part 2)

So, remember, we had turned right along the little green edged road on the map, which had the red dots along it? Well, roughly translated into driving this means don't take your eyes of the bit of tarmac you have, it's going to get narrower, steeper and have lots of hairpin bends with vertical drops into the ravines.

We were about to drive over the eastern end of the Sierra de los Filabres!

We passed lots of small hamlets of pretty Spanish villas like this:
















But take note of the mountain in the back because that is what we were about to drive up and over!!! It's 1300 metres up and Neil was about to become intimately familiar with every single metre.

The further along the road we went the bendier and narrower it became, and the need to concentrate took over from the ability to admire the view. Looking out for oncoming traffic was paramount as the areas where 2 vehicles could pass were somewhat rare, and I don't think Neil relished the idea of reversing to find to nearest - but we never expected to turn a corner and find the road just wasn't there anymore.

I'm not sure whether this was scheduled roadworks to widen the bit over the top of the mountain OR as it looked, whether the road had fallen down the mountain and they had put a temporary surface in place but we found ourselves on hardcore surrounded by lots of diggers and tarmac-ing machines, fortunately it was a Saturday so they weren't working.


















I doubt it's a route we shall drive very often, although we may take the odd visitor for a drive of death - but the views when we got chance to take our eyes away from the road to have a look, were spectacular.







So, now I'm checking the map for more red dotted scenic roads - but don't tell Neil!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

When you can, really visit the top of the world in Espana - Mulhacen in the Sierra Nevada, though it is only open to the non hardy traveller in July and August...

Spanish Owner said...

Bloody hell, Jacqui, you do get to some places I will never see as I'm a right scaredy cat.

Janice x

Brindy said...

Yes, but there weren't any tunnels!

Anonymous said...

Having been searching for any information on moving to Spain with my dog,Daisy a 10 month old labrador, I was lucky enough to stumble on your blog. How wonderful. So thoughtful to share your experiences. I would love to chat sometime about various things to do with our doggies in Spain.Daisy is my baby, together with two mogs, Arthur and Fi-fi. After years of pro-crastination I really don't think I can do another "Summer" in UK. Well done for your blog and all the luck in the world for your new lives. Sally x

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally
Thank you for your comments, I'm glad you are enjoying my blog, it was started so that others who may be thinking of coming to Spain could see a real life account.

Have you read the puppy blog at http://2littlepuppies.blogspot.com
One of my Cavalier pups writes about his experiences in Spain, it gives a different view point.
If you would like to e-mail me, send your e-mail address on a comment, they are private until I allow them to be published, so your e-mail address will not be released to others