The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday 27 February 2009

Today, I've walked for nearly 6 hours.

I haven't played a full round of golf since Christmas when my brother was here. I've done a couple of 9 holes but that's all. Not because I've gone off golf but at the beginning of the year we had such strong winds it was pointless trying to play and so I got out of the routine.

Before playing golf I take the dogs for a long walk so that they settle while we are out. Somehow, when it's still dark in the mornings, it's easier to stay in bed. But it's now daylight by 7.30am and so I made a determined effort this morning to get up early, walk the dogs and then intended to play 9 holes and work my fitness back up to doing a full 18 over the next couple of weeks.

So, that was half an hour walking with the dogs and then 2 hours to do 9 holes, only I was enjoying my golf so I carried on to do the back 9. Now, as all golfers know the game is about 50% skill 40% concentration and 10% luck. Well, I certainly had some luck today. On the long Par 5 14th we have a ravine in front of an elevated green. I managed to get about 70 yards before the ravine and took an 8 iron. I hit a beautiful shot that dropped just short of the green, hit the rocky wall at the back of the ravine, bounced backwards and hit off the rocks on the front edge of the ravine and ricocheted up into the air and dropped at the back of the green - on for 4! Down in 2 putts, thank you very much - 3 points! ( I get 2 shots on the 14th)

I finally finished with 30 points and every joint in my body aching. I was exhausted but feeling very pleased to have completed the full course for the first time this year.

Our course isn't overly long but it is very hard to walk. Earlier this week a new friend went out for a game with the guys. He's half the age of the regulars and despite being advised to take a buggy, when he heard that everyone else was walking decided he would too. Well, he found it tough and once back at the villa, he slept for the remainder of the day. I never understand why people don't listen to advice about buggying.

Once home, I collapsed into the hot tub for about an hour to try and ease the aches and pains. Then I realised we were going out for dinner tonight so the pups would be left for a couple of hours so would need another good walk before we went out. I wandered down to the front, along the prom and then back up and realised we'd been out for an hour so all in all I've walked for about 6 hours today. Fortunately it was all in circles otherwise I'd be a long way from home by now!

I'm off to collapse into bed now.

1 comment:

Spanish Owner said...

Glad you enjoyed your golf. It's something both Chris & I have never tried & have never wanted to but friends who play are as smitten with it as you both are.

Love & cuddles to the boys. xx