The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday 24 November 2008

It was going to happen sooner or later, time to visit the dentist!

For anyone who knows me well, they will be well aware that going to the dentist is not high on my list of favourites. Thanks to the butchers that used to pose as school dentists in my childhood I have a total fear of going to the dentist. Whilst I was back in Sheffield, I had over the last 10 years or so managed to build up confidence in one dentist and would go twice a year without being totally traumatised - but in the last few years I did tend to make my appointments to coincide with my trips to Ragdale Hall for a de-stress day and a hypnotherapy session to control my stress levels.

So, while we have been in Spain I have been ignoring the fact that it was getting close to the time when I should be booking a routine check-up and clean. But unfortunately, I developed a problem last week that became too painful to ignore.

After having a couple of painful days it was obvious by Thursday night that I could take as many painkillers as we'd got in the house - but it wasn't going to get better - I had to find a dentist.

I asked around a few people for recommendations for an english speaking spanish dentist and one in Aguilas was recommended by a few. So, Friday afternoon saw a couple of our friends driving us into Aguilas to show us where the dentists surgery was so I could make an appointment.

On arrival we were met by 2 very nice young ladies, one of which spoke reasonable english. I had written down a few phrases in spanish in case I needed them, but as it happens I didn't. Always good to be prepared though.

Anyway, I asked if I could have an appointment and they asked if I was in pain. When I said 'Si, tengo mucho dolor' they said if I could wait a few minutes the dentist would have a look so they could see what needed doing. Now, I should have known better than to believe them as the friends who had taken us through had told us that she too had gone through when she had a crown break and they had asked her to wait and they ended up sorting it out there and then.

Anyway, I said I could wait and within 5 minutes they called me through. The dentist spoke good english and soon identified which tooth was causing the problem. We'll have an x-ray, he said, and then we can work out the problem and decide what to do.

10 minutes later, the x-ray was ready and showed no problem with the tooth and so he said it would be an infection. Not a problem, says he,

and if you are squeemish, better not read any further (Janice!)

We'll open the nerves and stopped the pain!

Now, I tried to believe it was his attempt at english that was causing him to use the wrong words - but before I had chance to ask what this involved - I'd had the first injection of anaesthetic done!

Now, normally they send you back to the waiting room while it takes effect BUT I think in my case they realised there was a strong possibility I may flee the surgery - so they left me in the chair.

When the dentisit returned he brought with him the english speaking lady from reception who, it turns out, was a dental nurse and between the 2 of them they managed to keep me relatively calm whilst they started to sort out the problem.

Now, bear in mind this started out as a trip to make an appointment, that turned into 5 minutes for a look - 1 hour and 20 minutes later, 2 more anaesthetic injections and a lot of discomfort, pain and tears - I was told I could leave. Apparently, I had a really bad infection and he'd cleaned it out. What??? At home, I'd have been given a prescription for antibiotics, told to take painkillers while the antibiotics took effect and off I would have trotted.

Here, he had cleaned the area around all 3 of the nerves with what felt like a bottle brush and told it would be painful for a couple of hours but would then settle down. He'd had to use 2 additional anaesthetics because, apparently I have thin nerves so the anaesthetic wasn;t as effective as normal - well, if I have thin nerves, it;s the only thing thin about me! Typical, thin-ness somewhere that couldn't be seen.

He had filled the area with 'medicine' and put a temporary filling in and I have a follow up appointment in January to have the nerves repaired - what? And then a 2nd appointment to put a proper filling in.

Needless to say when I finally left the surgery, €60 poorer I was somewhat traumatised. However, being the wimp I am, I took a painkiller and once my stress levels had returned to normal and the anaesthetic had worn off, I had to admit that it did feel a load better than it had for the last few days.

I decided not to eat on it for the night and, as we were due to go out with friends, I was going to have to be careful what I ordered. Fortunately we were going somewhere local that knows us quite well so they didn't look too surprised when I ordered chicken soup for starter and asparagus soup for main course, although I did tell them (in spanish) of my traumatic day. I drank my coffee through a straw until the anaesthetic had totally worn off and I managed an excellent nights sleep.

So, looking back how would I rate the experience compared to back home? Well, the surgery was incredibly modern, they did a few different tests to identify the right tooth and they did as they said they would, they took away the pain. I haven't had any problem or pain from it and although I took painkillers for the first 24 hours, I think rather than the tooth being painful, it was the jaw that was sensitive from all the pressure that had been applied during the time in the chair.

I know a number of people here who go back to the UK 3 or 4 times a year and book any dental appointments to happen during these visits so they can continue with their regular dentists but when you live here permanently that isn't an option. However, looking back on my experience, I have to say whilst it will never be my favourite outing, I do feel able to make the normal routine appointments without any more trepidation than when I was in the UK.



3 comments:

Spanish Owner said...

Jacqui, I'm very proud of you for going, though I am more scared of the pain when infection strikes than I am of the dentist.

I read it all, once upon a time you'd just need to say 'dentist'& I'd squirm, so I did well too.

Janice

fashy said...

I've been read a blog post related to your's. He is very scared to have an appointment to a Dentistas somewhere in Spain. He was so scared when the session has been started he was very nervous if he could feel the pain, but a minute ago the dentista done doing his work and the patient doesn't feel anythin pain. They are very skilled and they do not negligent in their patient's.

Brindy said...

Hi Fashy

We always found the dentists in Spain to be excellent.