The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday 27 October 2008

It's official, my brain can no longer multi-task!

Last Saturday we took a break from our normal routine and decided we would play in the clubs monthly Stableford competition (to non-golfers, Stableford is just a type of scoring system, nothing to concern yourself about). It gives us a chance to meet and play golf with different people and is generally a fun day out, providing you don't take your golf too seriously.

On arrival at the club we went in to find out who we were playing with only to find that they had split Neil and I up, he was playing a 4 ball with 3 Spaniards, non of which spoke any english and I was teamed up with a Spanish lady and a very nice young man, again neither of whom spoke english. And when I say they spoke no english, I mean they spoke NO english. If they were taught english at school, they certainly hadn't thought about it since they left.

I did feel for Neil, this would be a long 4 hours for him, and I was really going to have to work hard to be able to speak to my partner, Marisa, as I shared a golf buggy with her. The first hole went off in relative silence for me although Marisa and Jesús chatted along in spanish at a rate way beyond anything I could follow. I began to think it would be a long 4 hours for me as well.

But, on the 2nd tee we had a delay so we got chance to start trying to speak to each other, prompted by my husband, bless.

From our tee position we could see Neil wandering back and forth along the edge of the ravine halfway up the fairway obviously looking for a ball and we could see the rest of the men on the green some 100 yeards further on. Well Marisa couldn't work out why this strange man was holding play up and wandering along the ravine, and at this point I couldn't work it out either, but I know Neil well enough to know he wouldn't be holding play up. So, in my best spanish I explained he was my husband and that the people on the green must be the people ahead of Neil's group. My attempts to explain we're accompanied by a lot of arm gestures but SUCCESS, she understood totally what I was saying and a couple of seconds later Neil's playing partners climbed up out of the ravine to join him.

What this had done was to show Marisa that I could speak a little spanish more than just what's your name and where do you live, and so she then started to speak to me, a little slower and with a lot of pointing but we actually managed to have a good chat as we went round the course, she was very patient with me and even taught me a few phrases, like how to say you have picked your ball up because you cannot score, I learnt that one really well as I had a lot of practice becuase while my brain was on overtime trying to put sentences together in spanish I wasn't able to concentrate on my golf and played the worst since I came out here. Yes, multi-tasking is no longer something I do!

So, was matching us with non-english speaking spaniards a cunning plan, I ask myself! If it was, it certainly worked - I don't think I got into double figures. But I have made a new friend.

Not such a bad day then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

We are moving to Taberno in Murcia which is not far from where you are. We have followed your progress since March and found it useful as well & interesting

We are bringing 3 dogs with us, 2 spaniels & one a German Shepherd, which is as soft as anything but I believe her breed may be a problem is Spain? do you know anything about it? or where I could get information on it. Would love to meet up with you if you fancy it as we are giving up everything to move to Spain with our dogs (+ a horse!)except we are renting first in Santo etar

ps try Hotel Takir in Garrucha for an evening meal, Sean & Beatrice run this small friendly hotel/Restaurant and it is wonderful food at a set price for 3 course meal!

Bye for now

Jill

Brindy said...

Hi Jill

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/1153/

I don't know about the dangerous dogs but did come across this on one of the forums, it may help. There may also be info on the eye on Spain site.

Strangely enough, we were in Garrucha market last week and as we drove past the Takir our friend Lucy told us it was a good place to eat, so we will have to give it a try.

I am really pleased you are finding this blog helpful and I hope your move goes a smoothly as ours did, it;s quite scarey giving everything up but it has worked for us. It would be lovely to meet up with you, let us know when you are over and we'll sort something out.

Jacqui

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill

I'm Janice, a friend of Jacqui's & a member of the Eye On Spain forum like her. My friend, Marion, who lives in Spain, has an English bull terrier which is considered to be a dangerous dog in Spain. Marion writes about dangerous dogs in Spain on Badger's site here ...

http://badgerspage.piczo.com/dangerousdogsinspain?cr=7&linkvar=000044

so I hope you benefit from reading it. I put the info on the EOS forum.

Janice