The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Interview Day.

The day dawned and I donned my interview suit. I couldn't believe how nervous I was, after all I used to interview for staff in my last job, but I was going to be on the other side of the desk this time.

I had done my research on the company, had a copy of my cv and job spec and off I went. I had taken a drive out the night before to find where I was going so I knew I wouldn't have any last minute panics about finding the place to add to the nerves, and of course, I arrived well before time.

40 minutes later I was back in the car. The interview seemed to have gone well. The asignment was well within my capabilities and I seemed to have got on ok with the chap I would be working with. He was seeing others that same day so I would probably get a call from the agency late afternoon with the outcome.

Although the assignment was only for 3 weeks I was surprised how much I wanted to get it. I think I needed to prove to myself that I was still capable of gaining work, and that the massive decision to return to the UK hadn't been a mistake.

I spent the rest of the day continuing my job searching, phoning around agencies, trawling through the internet and firing off my many-times altered CV, now specifically written to suit each application. I was very methodical in my approach and how I kept records of what I had applied for, which agencies I had spoken to and soon my file was building to show an impressive amount of applications - gradually the emails started to drop into my inbox - no thanks, not this time, sorry but keep checking our website for more vacancies - it was quite dis-spiriting.

I decided I needed a break from all this negativity and called the dogs. It was a warm, dry and sunny summers day outside, a walk along the canal with the dogs would lift my spirits for another session of job hunting. The sight of the dogs wandering along the canal path, rooting in the hedgerows and watching the ducks glide along the far bank never failed to make me feel good inside. Everyone we met stopped to chat to me and stroke the dogs - it was just the boost I needed to shift the gloom that had decended. Rejection is never easy but the faceless anonymity of the internet and the speed at which it comes back at you was, somehow, even more difficult to get used to. The speed at which some of the responses came back made me feel they were automated replies, it didn't feel as if anyone could have read my application and made a judgement on my suitability. I rang several agencies for feedback as to why I wasn't suitable, and everytime I got the same answer 'oh, they want someone qualified, they're not bothering with anyone who isn't'. That was something I couldn't change overnight - but it wasn't going to stop me applying.

There were several fishermen dotted along the canal, most looking ready to pack their rods away and rejoin the mayhem of everyday life. A narrow boat pulled into the lock and I stood to watch the water filling up, raising the boat into view. The dogs always found this fascinating too and I was always concerned they would fall into the lock as they peered down to see what was happening, their interest even more so if there was a dog on the boat. I would often chat to the boat owners while they too waited for the water level to reach its goal.

In the middle of this my phone rang, a quick look at the number told me it was the agency. I somehow didn't want more negative news to spoil such an idyllic part of the afternoon but I answered it anyway, prepared to hear another 'no thank you,' knowing that my continued walk along the canal would cancel out any bad news call.

'Hi, it's Emma. I've just had a call from Richard' who I had seen that morning, 'he'd liked you a lot and wants you to do the assignment, can you start on Monday?'

'Er, really? Yes, of course I can, what time?' I replied.

As she spoke, I missed most of what she said as I could feel my brain take in the initial sentence .....can you start on Monday? I had done it, I had managed to convince someone at interview that I was still capable of doing a job. It was a good feeling.

It was only for 3 weeks, but it was a start. I vaguely heard Emma say she would confirm everything in an email and that I was to call if I had any questions. Then suddenly the phone call was over and I was employed again.

All I had to do now was turn up and prove that I could actually do the job. I had a few more days to worry about that, for now I was happy to continue my walk along the canal, in what now seemed warmer sunshine.

I continued my walk along the canal with a little extra spring in my step.

Today was a good day.

No comments: