The story of our move to Andalucia .... and our move back to the UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday 20 November 2009

Sitting by the roadside watching the sun set over the mountains!

Sounds romantic doesn’t it?

Well, it wasn’t. You see, I was waiting for 2 deliveries. In an ideal world it would all work as arranged. In the real world, this was never going to happen.

The 2 deliveries were coming from opposite directions, so in an effort to avoid them having to U-turn on the mountain road I arranged to meet one, we’ll call him A, at Km 8 at 4.30pm and the other, who we’ll call B (no surprises there, eh?)at Km 9 at 5pm (both times suggested by them not me, I would like to add at this point)

So, I was duly ensconced at my first meeting point by 4.20pm and sat back to admire the scenery. By 4.45pm I was on the phone to find out where he was only to be told he was still some 45 minutes away as he had been delayed in Almeria. A quick mental calculation and I realised I had time to go to Km 9, meet the other guys and take them to the house and be back at Km 8 for 5.30pm.

By 5.25pm I was on the phone to B – who I was told had only just set off and would be another half hour. OK, Back to Km 8 to wait for A – who hadn’t turned up by 6pm – another phone call – ‘I’m only 20 minutes away’ he said. ‘Call me when you get there and I’ll come to meet you’ I replied and drove back to Km 9.

6.15pm – no B but A phoned – ‘I’m at Km 8’. ‘OK’, I said ‘I’ll be right there!’

But when I got to Km 8 there was no-one there. I rang again. My husband’s voice answered. I know my husbands voice, I recognise it. But why was he answering the phone of the missing delivery man?

Because somehow A had missed me but managed to find the house! And how could he be on his phone by the house when we don’t have any reception?

I decided not to pursue the phone call any longer but to return to KM9 and await B.

By now, the sun had gone down, darkness was upon us and I was sat at the roadside still, 2 hours after I had first parked up.

15 minutes later I received another phone call – this time from B – to say he too was at the house.

How are they doing this? How can they miss me sat at the roadside in a big black car, yet find the house down a dirt track, hidden behind a hill?

I returned home, stiff from sitting in the car for over 2 hours, cold and confused but pleased that we now had the work surfaces for the kitchen.

After they had all left I asked Neil how they had found the house.

He said he had no idea, they had just turned up!

Most peculiar!

P.S. 2 days later we were sat having a drink when Janet, our neighbour from the other hill walked up our valley and into our house. Her and her visitor had been on a hunt for some kind of mushroom and ended up at the bottom of our hill so decided to stop by and cadge a drink as they had been walking for ages and were both looking as if they had run a marathon.

While they were here we got chatting and she mentioned they had received a few callers a couple a nights ago, when normally they don’t get any. But both had been at the wrong house, they were looking for us and she had pointed across the valley to where we are.

So that’s how the delivery guys had found the house – no mystery, no psychic powers – just gone to the house they could see and asked where the house they couldn’t see was!

So, in future I don’t need to go and sit at the roadside for hours – just tell them to call at the house on the hill – and hope that Janet’s at home!

1 comment:

Spanish Owner said...

THAT was hilarious to read, Jacqui! Did you figure out though just HOW they got reception to use their mobile from your house?